Today, we’re all familiar with the anxiety disorder known as PTSD. As you know, it results from isolated traumatic events. Events like natural disasters, car accidents, or other forms of abuse and violence. But many do not know its more severe “cousin,” “Complex Post-traumatic Stress Disorder.
Complex PTSD is a psychological disorder caused by the prolonged experience of trauma. In most cases, the person affected has little to no chance of escape. It is usually caused by repeated sexual, psychological, and physical abuse. And it’s also experienced by victims of human trafficking and survivors of war camps.
In essence, Complex PTSD results from repeated trauma over months or years. And PTSD results from single events.
At Trauma & Beyond, your mental health is our priority. And we specialize in giving you the finest complex PTSD treatment in Los Angeles.
The Warning signs of CPTSD
Like regular PTSD, CPTSD has signs like avoidance, hyper-arousal, and reliving traumatic experiences. Others you should take note of also are:
● Difficulty controlling emotions. This results in explosive anger or unexplained periods of sadness,
● Constant feelings of shame or guilt. This may come as a result of being the sole survivor among a group that experienced the same trauma,
● Periodic loss of attention and concentration (dissociation),
● Physical symptoms such as headaches and dizziness,
● Relationship difficulties,
Your treatment program
Our holistic approach to treatment surpasses other PTSD treatment centers in Los Angeles. It covers some strategies, which are:
● Psychotherapy: Your sessions take place either alone with a therapist or in a group with others. This freedom to choose is a defining feature of our teen trauma treatment program. We also make use of cognitive-behavioral therapy in your treatment. This is because survivors often develop negative thinking patterns as coping mechanisms.
● Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR): While used for PTSD, EMDR is also useful for complex trauma treatment. This treatment records positive shifts in as little as 3 – 12 treatment sessions.
● Medication: Traditional medication used in treating depression also works for CPTSD. For the best results for you, we combine medicine with cognitive behavioral therapy. Examples of some anti-depressants are sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil), and fluoxetine (Prozac). Do not take any of these medications without a prescription from a certified Los Angeles trauma and PTSD therapist.
To Sum Up
Sometimes, life throws the very worst at you and keeps you down no matter how hard you try. We want you to know that we are always with you every step of the way. As a survivor, you deserve another chance at a full and happy life again. Thus, we also provide support groups to help at every step of your journey to reclaim your life.
At Trauma & Beyond, your well being isn’t just a big deal. It’s the only thing that matters.
Contact Trauma & Beyond to speak with an addiction treatment specialist or to verify your insurance: 818-651-0725
Sherman Oaks CA 91423